I have been loving using cashews as a “cream” instead of conventional cow’s milk cream. The cashew cream gives foods a decadent nutty flavor. Plus, it is approved on my LEAP diet.
I came up with this zucchini soup recipe that is made with cashews and is perfect for the cool weather ahead! And it is a pretty easy recipe!
It can be made vegan if you use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. This recipe is also gluten free if you use gluten free stock. Dairy free as well.
Zucchini Soup Made with Cashews
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 zucchini, chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock of your choice
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup frozen corn
- salt and pepper
- Fresh rosemary or basil to garnish. Another garnish option: Swirl with a dollop of sour cream if you like.
- In a large soup/stock pot, add your olive oil and heat on medium. Add your onions and salt and pepper and cook about 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, chop your zucchini.
- Next, add your garlic, cashews, zucchini, and seasonings. Cook 5-7 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to simmer.
- Cook about 30 minutes. Then, with an immersion blender, puree the soup mixture. If you do not have an immersion blender, pour the soup into a blender and puree (but, be careful since the contents will be extremely hot!).
- Next, add the corn to the soup in the pot. It is OK if the corn is still frozen as it will thaw quickly. Cook 10 more minutes, and serve. Or, refrigerate for later.
- Garnish with rosemary or basil.