Many in the blogosphere refer to Whole Foods as Whole Paycheck because of their higher prices. And, their food is so exciting that you end up spending a fortune if you don’t control yourself.
So, I am creating a new segment in my blog where I will talk about how I budget when I go to Whole Foods, and leave without spending a fortune.
Whole Foods Salad Bar Hack
I am becoming an expert at walking out the door with a $5 Whole Foods salad, and avoiding a $20 salad like I hear others complain of.
Looks like a mess, but I will explain…
- Start with a bed of spinach or baby greens. This adds bulk to your salad without adding much weight! Skip the romaine which is a little heavier and slightly less nutritious.
- Avoid heavy vegetables and fruits such as tomato, fresh fruit, cucumbers, and baby carrots. High water content equals high cost.
- Choose light-weight veggies or shredded/thinly sliced vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, and cabbage.
- Add other light-weight toppings such as sunflower seeds and dried fruit.
- Choose your protein source wisely. I tend to choose boiled eggs (don’t weight that much), a small scoop of tuna, a few beans, and/or 2 small pieces of tofu.
- Avoid oily foods since heavy fat sources tend to weight more.
- Limit your dressing. Try to add a simple splash of vinegar or a tiny teaspoon of a vinegar-based dressing. Or skip dressing all together.
- Enough is enough. Know when to stop adding toppings. As soon as you start to think, is this enough? Stop adding toppings and put a lid on it!
- Bring your own salad dressing and sides.
- DO NOT buy fruits from the salad bar. Buy 1 apple or other piece of fruit from somewhere else, and bring it with you for your day. One apple may cost about $1, but from the salad bar could cost $4!
- Try not to buy beverages from Whole Paycheck–there is free filtered water in the cafe eating area.
Do you have any tricks to getting a cheaper salad bar at Whole Foods?
I just hope they don’t figure out how we are getting the most of the bar, and start raising the prices!