Sometimes we buy apples at Costco to get a better deal, but you never know what you are getting when you get those apples. They could be a little old. Yikes! What to do with leftover apples? We had about 4 apples that still needed to be eaten. Mr Triathlete hates when apples get slightly mushy and won’t even go near them. I think he is legitimately scared of them.
Since it had been cold out I decided baked apples would be the perfect healthy dessert.
- 4 large apples, cored (any type of apple will work)
- 4 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp. Walnuts, chopped
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 4 tsp. margarine (Smart Balance or Earth Balance)
- 1/2 C. 100% apple juice
- 1/4 C. 100% pomegranate juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a 8 x 8 baking dish, pour in the apple and pomegranate juice.
- Slice off the tops of the apples. Using a paring knife, score a hole as if you were about to dig a hole to core the apple. Carefully, use the paring knife to scoop out the center of the apple. You want to remove the tough fibrous core. Do not break through the bottom of the apple, or all the juices will leak out.
- Mix the second 7 ingredients together, and fill the hole in the apples.
- Top each apple with a sliver of margarine or butter.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
I love these apples because they are very filling, and remind me of apple pie. And they are a great healthy alternative. Mr Triathlete said, “damn it, this is supposed to be a dessert”, and went back to the kitchen to go get more butter and brown sugar.