As I continue along my quest to make my own protein bars and snacks from home, I will continue to post the successful recipes! I had been trying to find a way to make a higher protein snack without using a protein powder. I came up with the idea to use hemp seeds to make these hemp seed protein cookies.
Did you know that only 3 TBSP of hemp seeds (or hemp hearts) contain 11 grams of protein!? That is excellent for a plant food. They are also loaded with magnesim and vitamin E.
These “cookies” are not true cookies. They are more of a protein snack granola type ball. They are good as a protein cookie or snack food.
Hemp Seed Protein Cookies
Makes about 12-14 “cookies”
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup shelled hemp seeds (or hemp hearts)
- oats (I used gluten free oats) – enough to make the consistency of cookies/thick pancakes which is approx 1/2 – 1 cup
- 3 Tbsp. cacao nibs (or mini chocolate chips)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Meanwhile, mash your banana and add your seasonings.
- Stir in your hemp seeds. Next, slowly add the oats and stir until the oats have dried up the mixture a little more so that you can form little cookie-like patties.
- Stir in your cacao or chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out about a heaping tablespoon onto a lined cookie sheet (or greased cookie sheet). Form the little hemp patties into cookie shapes with the spoon.
- Bake about 20 minutes until the middle is not soft.
These are gluten free (if you make with gluten free oats), no added sugar (except the banana), perfect for vegan and vegetarian diets for the higher amount of protein, and great for one-the-go!