I found this recipe from Whole Foods and Fit Sugar while on Pinterest.
What a great idea it is! They use quinoa as the bottom “crust” part and then the egg filling with some spinach, and topped with a small amount of cheese.
I only modified the recipe slightly because I used frozen spinach (and more of it) and a few other tweaks.
Quinoa and Egg Breakfast Bake
- 1 teaspoon butter or butter substitute to grease the pan
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 6-7 eggs
- 2-3 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 cup finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese (and I mixed in some leftover Gruyere we had)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease your baking dish (the recipe called for an 8×8 dish, but I used an 11.5 x 8.75 baking dish). Do not use 9 x 13–it will be a little too big.
- Rinse your quinoa in a colander.
- Whisk together your eggs, spices, and milk. Stir in the quinoa.
- Pour into the baking dish. Then, stir a little and shake pan a little to let the quinoa fall to the bottom of the pan. Don’t worry–you probably won’t be able to see this, but it will work.
- Gently stir in your onions and spinach into the egg/quinoa mixture in the pan.
- Bake covered for about 40-45 minutes until it has set. Uncover and sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for another 17-20 minutes until golden.
You could even eat this for lunch or dinner (I am going to eat for lunch today with a side of raw sliced peppers). It is the perfect balanced meal because it contains complete proteins, fiber, vegetables, and a pinch of fat
Tip: Make it ahead of time, the night before, and then you can just reheat in the morning. Since it takes a while to bake and cook, I made mine at about 9:30 pm and finished cooking it close to bedtime!