Since I was moving all last week, this weekend I worked on decorating the apartment. I had saw all these ideas for using plates on the wall for decoration, and decided it would be a great way to add a splash of color to the boring white apartment walls.
- Collect plates from different stores like World Market, HomeGoods, TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, Pier 1, and Target. And feel free to get some plastic plates because they are lightweight and don’t look any different from the ceramic plates when up on the wall. You can also try etsy for some unique plate finds. Keep in mind a color theme. It doesn’t matter if the plates will match perfectly.
- Order these plate hangers from amazon. They glue to the back of your plates and add a hook for the wall. You can not see the adhesive or the hook, and they are very sturdy.
- Pick up some 3M Command adhesiveor mounting squares or strips. These can be used for any plastic plates or very small/lightweight plates you have. 3 squares should hold most of the lightweight plates on the wall. I cut some of the mounts to fit the backs of the plates better.
- Line up your plates on the floor to decide how you will arrange them on the wall. I took a few pictures to remind myself and decide what I like best.
- When you are ready to arrange on wall: Measure where the center of the wall is, and start with the center/middle plate first. Then, build outward, stepping back each time to check your work.
Also check out apartment therapy where I found my inspiration.
I figure that the decor is important for my dining area if I want to try to eat more at the table!