I calculated that I was spending too much money on healthy packaged foods like low sugar, clean protein bars and low sugar granolas. So, I set out to make my own bar with the idea of a breakfast bar or quick trailmix snack bar in mind.
Now that the regular, plain Cheerios are gluten free, I decided to use them as the base of my recipe. Cheerios are mostly just made with oats, and some vitamins/minerals added. The best part is that they are only 1 gram of sugar per cup! Hooray!
Low sugar modification: The recipe should rechnically be called “lower sugar” or “natural sugars only” since there are still dried fruit sugars which make it a little sweeter. If you truly need it low sugar, then omit the dried fruit and only use nuts/seeds (just use extra nuts and seeds).
Low Sugar Gluten Free Cereal Bars
- 3 1/2 cups Cheerios (original)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats or oat flour (or a combination)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 nuts of choice (I used a mix of peanuts and cashews)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of choice (dried cherries are wonderful – I used dried blueberries and cherries)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- In a large bowl mix all of your dry ingredients (all ingredients except the honey, oil, vanilla).
- Next, heat the coconut oil and honey in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the coconut oil with the honey until it melts.
- Pour the wet over the dry ingredients. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a non-stick baking sheet. Pour the mix into the baking sheet and press down with a spatula to allow the mixture to press together in the pan.
- Drizzle on top with a little more honey (optional, but helps stick better). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and it will firm-up. Cut into large chunks and store in an air-tight container.
Pretty easy and does not take much time!
Nutrition Facts (12 Large Bars in 1 Recipe): 188 calories, 13 g sugar (mostly from the dried fruit), 3 g fiber, 4 g protein, excellent source of iron.