Sauteed Brussel sprouts is a staple dinner food item in my house. Maybe you think I’m crazy, but no, they are delicious! And this particular recipe does not involve bacon. (But, I will use bacon from time to time!)
I even got my Mom (Psycho Holiday Baker) to try more than one bite (she typically hates Brussel sprouts).
Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
- 3 cups fresh Brussel sprouts, cut in half (you can use frozen in a pinch)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet yellow onion or red onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. mustard seed (or 1-2 tsp. jar mustard)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp. honey (taste to see if you need this–sometimes my onions are sweet enough and I do not add)
- salt and pepper
- Saute your onions on medium heat for about 10 minutes until they soften.
- Add the garlic and sprouts to the pan along with other seasonings, and cook 10-15 minutes more on medium. Stir every other minute.
- Taste test, and see if you need a little honey to sweeten. Continue to cook until the sprouts have browned and you have some brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Easy and super healthy!
Another seasoning flavor idea that I use is cajun seasoning mix instead of the mustard and spices. You could also cook/roast these in the oven as well.