My sister made this dessert recipe a few months ago, and I loved it! Probably because it was a Giada recipe. My favorite chef inspiration. Very light 4th of July dessert recipe and you can make it dairy or gluten free depending on your preferences.
If you are dairy free, you could easily substitute a coconut yogurt.
Strawberry Cream Parfaits
- 1 lb. bag of strawberries (Frozen or fresh: If fresh, you will want to add 1-2 tsp. sugar and let sit to allow the strawberries to get “juicy”).
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream, refrigerated
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- Meringue cookies – 1 container (Check the ingredients. We used gluten free vanilla ones.)
- Mash the strawberries with a “masher” that you would normally use to mash potatoes, etc. Do this until they are “chunky” consistency.
- Next, whip the whipped cream! Combine the sour cream and whipped cream. Beat until you have stiff peaks.
- Meanwhile, crush your meringue cookies.
- Gently, stir/fold in the cookies into the whipped cream mixture.
- Take 4 small mason jars or glasses, and fill with layered amounts of the mashed strawberries and whipped cream mixture.
You can chill these until ready to eat! They are so light a refreshing with no actual added sugar (except for what was in the meringues added already).
It would look much cuter if you put them in little mason jars as well. I also recommend doubling or tripling the recipe. This particular recipe only makes 4 servings.