I have not had a ton of success using chickpea flour in recipes before, but finally I made it work! Big success for a gluten free muffin. I have had a lot of success using beans in muffin recipes lately. Chickpea flour is normally very bitter and almost metallic tasting, so it is a challenge! Once you add the 3 different types of fruit to this recipe to naturally sweeten, it overpowers the taste of any chickpea.
Chickpea is a fantastic addition for reducing carbohydrates, but increasing protein and fiber. It helps make lower grain muffin option and gluten free option that is still healthy and tasty! Plus, using beans in muffin recipes helps to maintain excellent texture.
Chickpea Flour Blueberry Muffins
Makes 5-6 muffins
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 3 packets stevia
- 3 tsp honey
- 1.5 Tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil (liquid)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup gluten free (or non gluten free) pancake mix (any is fine)
- 1/3 cup chickpea/garbanzo flour or chickpea flour blend like the Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix the first 6 wet ingredients together.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients.
- Batter should be a slightly thicker muffin batter consistency. Add a little extra applesauce if needed to thin your batter.
- Pour into lightly greased muffin tins. Top with frozen blueberries.
- Bake approx 13-15 minutes until the center is cooked and outside just lightly browned.