One of my favorite side dish recipes in the summer is this yellow squash recipe with caramelized onions, basil, thyme, and goat cheese. I could probably eat 4 squash and make a meal out of it. That is how much I love it!
Easy Summer Squash Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 medium size yellow summer squash
- 1 large yellow onion, or 2 small-medium sized onions
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced (or about 2 tsp. minced jarred garlic)
- 1-2 tsp. ground dried thyme (or fresh if you have it)
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the onions, and add to a large saute pan with the olive oil on medium heat. Cook on low-medium for about 10 minutes until slightly golden, and softened.
- Meanwhile, slice the squash on a mandolin (if you have one–or just slice medium thickness by hand).
- Add the squash to the pan with onions and cook covered for about 5-10 minutes. Add your garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper as well.
- The squash will cook down some. Stir, and cook uncovered about 10 more minutes until fully softened.
- Add the fresh basil with about 2 minutes left of cooking time, and save a little basil for garnish.
- When serving, top with goat cheese.
This recipe (pictured above) does not have the basil and goat cheese–just a different variation with a little tomato!