Ever since I discovered that I loved cumin with quinoa, I had been wanting to try a new recipe. I came across an Ingrid Hoffman recipe on Food Network, and modified it.
Spicy Cumin Quinoa
Makes 6-8 servings.
1 3/4 C Quinoa
2 1/2 C Water
1 TBSP. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning
1 tsp. chipotle pepper spice
1-2 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. canned chopped green chiles
1/2 C fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh colander with very fine holes to get off the bitter saponin coating.
- Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer, with lid on for about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is hot, stir in spices and seasonings.
- While quinoa is cooking, saute the onion and green pepper in a large saute pan. Add salt and pepper. When almost finished cooking, add green chile peppers and garlic.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa into the onion and pepper mixture.
- Top with chopped parsley.
I ate mine with a drizzle of this Lizano sauce from Costa Rica. We brought the sauce back from our vacation because we loved it so much. It has a hearty cumin flavor that goes with everything. It’s like ketchup for Costa Rica!
And then I added a dallop of light sour cream because I found the dish pretty spicy.