Starbuck’s has these decadent looking cream cheese filled muffins. I wanted to see if I could make a tasty yet healthy alternative for pumpkin muffins with cream cheese filling. I came across Healthy Food for Living’s recipe for pumpkin cream cheese muffins. I modified a few things, but the muffins turned out delicious.
Makes 12 muffins
Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese, room temperature (when used as a filling, fat free cream cheese tastes fine)
- 1 Tbsp evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lowfat or fat free milk (or buttermilk if you have it)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped walnuts and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, sugar, and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, honey, molasses, oil, and eggs until combined. Whisk in the pumpkin, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients into wet and stir just until fully moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup a little less than half way full; smooth batter with back of a spoon to even out. Spoon about 2 tsp. of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each cup. Top with remaining batter. Each cup will be almost completely full. Smooth tops with back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle each filled muffin cup with the walnut/brown sugar mixture.
- Bake muffins for 20-23 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (a bit of cream cheese clinging to the toothpick is fine, but there shouldn’t be any raw batter).
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (per muffin): 188 calories, 7g fat, 0.8g saturated, 27g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 6g protein. Excellent source of vitamin A (from the pumpkin!).