I call this “guacamole quinoa” because that is what it tastes like: guacamole mixed with quinoa to make a salad.
This recipe is filling, tasty, and contains all the nutrients you need: Healthy fats, complete proteins, vegetables, fruit, high fiber, and a healthy carbohydrate.
I am not sure where I originally got this recipe idea from, but I know it was first adapted from Oh She Glows. I modified it to make it fit the ingredients I had at home, so here you go:
Quinoa Guacamole Salad
Cooking time: About 30 minutes Serves: About 4-6
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa (Mr Cyclist doubled this because he thought it wasn’t enough, but agrees that it should’ve been 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups water with large pinch of salt or reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 a pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups of fresh spinach or about 3/4-1 cup frozen and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/2 a bunch of fresh cilantro (or you could use a tube of puree cilantro herb to season)
Dressing (from the Diva Dish):
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package. Meanwhile, mix all your dressing ingredients together and prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- When the quinoa is near done, you can stir in your spinach and cilantro, and continue to heat until they are cooked in.
- Add the chickpeas, onions, garlic, and seasonings to quinoa.
- Add your dressing, then cool the quinoa. You can put it in the fridge for a little while or over a bowl of ice.
- Add in the tomatoes and avocado. Stir to combine until it is creamier. Put back in the fridge for another 5 minutes or so.
Serve with a cilantro garnish! You can also add some crushed red pepper for spice or a little chipotle chili powder.
Mr Cyclist says this wasn’t his favorite dish, and doesn’t want to make anymore cold quinoa dishes. He says he prefers it warm. So, if you like, try the dish warm and see if you like it better. I think it is good either way. I loved how easy it was to take to work for lunches. It is a complete meal all-in-one.