Yesterday, after climbing Stone Mountain, I went with Mr Triathlete to the Dekalb Farmer’s Market. It is basically a huge warehouse of whole foods. Check out these prices on spices and grains:
Crazy good deal! I think we spent $57 total on everything we bought when normally it would cost $120 (or more) if I went to Whole Foods or the regular grocery store (like Publix). I will be shopping there more often.
And of course, we stopped by the bakery to get some fancy treats.
We got some macadamia nut brownie thing, pistachio baklava (in the back) which was amazing, and an almond horn (right). We didn’t really know what the almond thing was. It turned out to be a chewy dense almond bar/cookie.
Anyway, that night I learned how to make the best kale ever. After trial and error, I think we found the best recipe. I will share it with you:
Best Healthy Kale Recipe Ever:
Serves 2 people
- 1 Large bunch of kale
- 2 Tbsp. good olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 1/2-1 Cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder or can use fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 Cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil) optional
1. Wash the kale. Meanwhile, heat up a large saute pan with the olive oil.
2. Tear the kale leaves of the stem, and into the pan. Saute the leaves about 3 minutes until they wilt slightly. Season with spices.
3. Pour in the chicken stock and vinegar, and stir. Place a lid on the pan. Cook about 5-8 minutes until tender enough to chew.
It turned out perfect. A little tangy, spicy, and sweetness. And we all know how healthy kale is. Perfect detox food after the Holidays 🙂