So far I have used 3 apples of my 10+ pound bag of apples to make apple coffee cake. At least I found one tasty use for them so far!
I decided to modify the Emeril recipe for apple coffee cake. I figured I could trust Emeril on making delicious food.
Healthier Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 stick Earth Balance (about 4Tbsp.)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 small-medium peeled, cored and chopped apples
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. stevia
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 350, and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
2. Mix the wet ingredients thoroughly. Then, separately mix the dry ingredients. Slowly add the wet to the dry ingredients.
3. Fold in the chopped and prepared apples.
4. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Then, prepare the crumble topping by stirring together until small pea size granules form. Add the crumble topping.
5. Bake about 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
I think this recipe was very tasty for a healthier version because I still used a fat source, and some sugar. I also added a tiny drizzle of honey to the top to add somewhat of a glaze. I would definitely recommend that. Mr Cyclist said it was good, and that it “tastes healthy”. So, I guess it passes the taste test!