My friend introduced me to this idea of using guacamole almost as the salad dressing to the kale. I thought it turned out pretty good, but Mr. Cyclist was even more of a fan of it than I was. And it is a great way to get in one the the healthiest veggies on the planet–kale!
Guacamole Kale Salad Recipe
- 1 small bunch of kale (about 7 leaves)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1, 7 oz. tray of pre-made guacamole (see picture to the right, or try Wholly Guacamole brand)
- 1 Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced finely (or just use a few red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 of a small red onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 a can of black beans (optional)
- 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
- Sprinkle of cumin, salt and pepper to taste
- Pull the kale leaves off the stems, and add to a large salad bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Allow the kale salad to rest a few minutes to absorb the moisture and to allow the flavors to sink in.
This is a unique recipe that surprisingly works out well.
Quote from that day: “Go down the produce section and look at all the fruits and vegetables that you never buy. People actually buy those. The grocery store wouldn’t stock them if no one bought them.”
Challenge for the week: Go to your grocery store, and pick out a fruit or veggie that you have never eaten and cook it!