I was watching Giada the other day, and she was making skewered Greek salad. The red and green colors made me want to make something like it for a Holiday party I went to.
I came up with tomato, basil, mozzarella, and cucumber skewers:
- 2 C. Grape tomatoes (2, 10 oz. packages will be enough)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced, then the slices cut into quarters
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced into cubes for skewering
- .5 oz. fresh Basil leaves (about 10 large leaves)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Greek seasoning blend
- salt and pepper
- bamboo or wood skewers (you may need to cut them in half if they are too large)
1. Thread the skewers in this order: whole tomato, mozzarella cube, small piece of basil, cucumber, and repeat one time.
2. When finished, drizzle all skewers with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Greek seasoning blend, and salt and pepper.
Please note: I underestimated the time it would take to make these skewers, and I started to get very tired of making them. I had to call in backup, aka Mr Triathlete, to help me finish the job. It probably took an hour from start to finish. But, it was worth it because they were a hit at the party, and delicious and nutritious!
Nutrition Facts (per skewer): 94 calories, 7.3 g fat, 2 g carbohydrate, 5.7 g protein.