Your typical caramel or sugary nuts have massive amounts of refined sugar and butter. I have tweaked the recipe slightly so that it is about half the sugar, and uses more natural ingredients. This recipe also happens to be super easy! It is perfect for the holidays and gift giving! I know my coworkers have loved them 🙂
Easy Caramel Pecans (And Healthier!)
Makes 1 small gift-giving batch
- 1 1/2 cups plain, raw pecans (I just eye-ball it)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. stevia
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- generous pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat, then add all of the ingredients except the honey and pecans. Stir and heat about 1 minute.
- Add the honey, and the mixture will begin to bubble. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add the pecans, and stir frequently. Continue to cook, stir, and coat them for 5 minutes until you have noticed the mixture has darkened.
- Pour the pecans out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Keep in clumps, and flatten-out with the back of your spoon. They should be a nice even layer so they stick together and cool.
Note: Make sure to stir continuously or the pecans and sugar will burn.
Cool at room temperature about 1-2 hours. You can then break into large chunks, and put into a nice decorative mason jar or festive holiday box!
Did I mention: This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and egg free. Great for those on special diets or those who are sensitive.