I was looking for a recipe for quinoa with raisin/dried fruit and nuts to try something different, and came across this recipe on All Recipes and modified it.
Cranberry Orange Quinoa Recipe
Makes 9 servings (would serve 6 people)
- 1.5 cups dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup orange juice (one orange, juiced)
- The juice of half a lemon
- Zest of the orange and lemon that you juiced
- 1/2 of a small red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin (or to your taste)
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro (optional)
- 3/4-1 cup dried fruit (I used mostly cranberries and some raisins)
- 1/2 cup chopped natural almonds (or any nut you have around) for garnish and crunch
- salt and pepper
- Put quinoa, water, and broth into medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is more fluffy.
- Meanwhile, prepare your dressing mixture by juicing and zesting the citrus. Add the chopped onion, cumin, honey, oil, mustard, cilantro to the juice mixture all in one bowl.
- When the quinoa is finished cooking, add the dressing mixture, and the dried fruit to the sauce pan. Stir to combine for about 2 minutes to allow some of the extra moisture to evaporate and reduce.
- Chill for a few hours before serving (optional because I ate mine warm the first night and it was delicious).
- Add almonds when serving for garnish otherwise they will get mushy.