I discovered this amazing black bean “pasta” at Costco the other week, and I cooked it up for the first time yesterday! I love it! It tastes great, holds its texture nicely, and is packed with excellent nutrition.
Black Bean Pasta Nutrition
Per 2 oz. serving
Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrate: 17 g
Fiber: 12 g
Sugar: 5 g
Protein: 25 g
As you can see, 2 oz. will give you 25 grams of protein! This is great for those who are trying to eat more plant proteins. And, it is loaded with fiber as well. Plus, 2 oz. gives you 36% of your daily value for iron–again, a great nutrient to look for when eating less meat.
Well, I was trying to decide what kind of sauce to make with this black bean spaghetti. So, I came up with my own recipe. I created a pesto in-between and Italian pesto and something with a more Latin flavors.
Cilantro Pesto Recipe
with black bean pasta
- 1-2 cup fresh spinach
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, rinsed and some stems removed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 3 gloves garlic
- 1/4 cup raw/plain almonds
- Juice of 1 lemon, and 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (possibly more as you blend)
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1-2 tsp. cumin
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 8 oz. black bean pasta (I only cooked about 2-3 oz for myself, and then had extra sauce leftover. So, you could cook however much pasta would be good for you. This recipe will make enough pesto for 6 people approx)
- Add all of your ingredients except the olive oil and pasta to a large food processor.
- Pulse the processor until you have chopped your ingredients to combine them. Next, drizzle in your olive oil while you let the food processor run. It will become creamier and combine better.
- Take the top off, and stir the pesto. Then, blend once more.
- Next, prepare your black bean pasta according to package directions (cooks in about 7-8 minutes).
- In a saute pan, add your pesto, heat for about 2 minutes, then add your cooked pasta and combine while on a low heat for 2 more minutes. Serve warm!
An added benefit of this recipe is that is friendly to food sensitivities as it has no dairy, no gluten, no soy, no corn, no wheat, no egg! And it’s delicious!