When I was a kid, we always used to have sausage and peppers, but I never made it again as an adult. Mostly, I just thought it wasn’t very healthy. But, you can make it packed with vitamins and minerals! The peppers add loads of vitamin C, and the onions add some antioxidants. Believe it or not! Then, I get a chicken sausage to make it a healthier sausage and peppers.
And this is what you get:
By the way, I really need to get a new camera. If you noticed, all my pictures are crooked because my camera screen is broken. I can’t see what the heck I am doing!
Healthier Sausage and Peppers
- 1 large yellow onion (or 2 medium-small), thinly sliced
- 3 peppers, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed/minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 lb. chicken sausage links
- 1 1/2 cups good tomato sauce (I had some leftover that was homemade)
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet, add your olive oil and heat on medium. Next, add your onions, and cook for about 5 minutes on medium.
- Add your peppers, and cook another 5 minutes. Add your garlic, and seasonings. Cook on medium/low until your vegetables have softened.
- Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan, and add your sausage in the middle. Turn every few minutes to brown the sides.
- Add your tomato sauce, and cover for another 5-8 minutes.
To serve, you can serve by itself, or over top brown rice or pasta, or a whole grain bread. We loved the taste of the peppers and onions, and wish we made more! Next time, I might double the amount of peppers and onions, or use a little less sausage.