I really love granola, but I know it can be quite sugary if you buy it packaged from the store. How do you avoid sugary granola? I just make it at home with the right ingredients and less sugar! I think it tastes better from home anyways.
Did you know 1/4 cup serving of granola can be over 200 calories?! A lot of that comes from the oils and sugars.
Simple and Healthy Granola
Makes about 9-10 servings. One serving= about 1/4-1/3 cup= 160 calories, 7 g fat, 23 g carbohydrates, 6-7 g sugar, 3 g protein.
- 2 1/2-3 cups oats
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg and ground cloves
- 4 packets stevia or stevia/xylitol blend
- 3- 3.5 Tbsp. real honey
- 1-2 tsp. molasses
- 1/4 cup olive oil or canola oil (or coconut oil for those of you who prefer that)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Combine the dry ingredients, then stir in the wet ingredients. Stir for 1-2 minutes until the oats are well coated.
- Empty the contents onto a baking sheet. Spread out evenly. Bake for 18-20 minutes, and stir half-way through.
- Let cool, and then store in an air-tight container.
Simple as that!
If you have ground flax seed, toss some in. It creates a nice nutty flavor. Or, you can always add some nuts, seeds, or dried fruit!
I prefer to make mine simple so that I can eat it in the morning with some almond milk and fresh fruit.
By the way, I discovered this new almond milk:
Here are the ingredients: ALMOND MILK (WATER, ALMONDS), PEA PROTEIN, RICE PROTEIN, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL FLAVOR, LOCUST BEAN GUM, KOSHER SEA SALT, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.
It’s only 40 calories per cup, but has 5 grams of protein total. This comes from pea and rice proteins. 5 grams is better than zero or one gram if you are looking to add more vegetable-based proteins to your diet.
The only negative is that the protein almond milk contains carrageenan which many say has negative effects on the body. For now, I am not going to worry about it. There are many other things I look to avoid, and this is not going to be one of my battles.
Overall, I enjoy the flavor of this unsweetened almond milk better than other unsweetened milks! I don’t usually buy almond milk.