I am obsessed with the bran muffins at Sweet Tomatoes restaurant. They have the best texture. So, I am on a mission to re-create them. First, I tried a variation from Roni at GreenLiteBites (recipe for Apple Bran Muffins). I made a few modifications, and the muffins turned out great. Except they weren’t quite like the Sweet Tomatoes muffins. They need more airiness.
Apple Wheat Bran Muffins #1:
Ingredients (makes 12 small muffins or 8 medium size muffins):
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c wheat bran
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 c nonfat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, & diced
- 1/4 C. oats for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix in apple pieces.
4. Spoon muffin batter into muffin tin. Top each unbaked muffin with a sprinkling of oats. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (12 muffins/Serving is 1 Muffin): 90 calories, 0g fat, 20g carb, 2.5g fiber, 3g protein.
Next time around, I think I need a small amount of fat to make the muffins more airy.