For a long time now, I have seen other bloggers posting their cake mugs or healthy mug muffin ideas online. I didn’t think much of it because I immediately thought of it as an unhealthy cake.
But, you can easily turn it into a healthy snack or breakfast!
I found this recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie for the mug muffin pictured directly above. It came out great, so I used this as my starting point to make a healthier mug muffin.
Healthy Protein Mug Muffin
- 1/2 a banana (or 1 small) mashed–or you could use applesauce, sweet potato, or pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp. brown rice protein powder
- 2 Tbsp. oat flour
- 2 packets stevia
- 3-4 Tbsp. almond milk (or until the consistency of cake batter)
- 1-2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- splash of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- dash of cinnamon
- pinch of walnuts or almonds for the top
- Combine all ingredients until you get a cake batter consistency. Top with walnuts.
- Microwave about 60-75 seconds.
- Cool 2 minutes before attempting to eat. It will be VERY hot.
Approx Nutrition Facts: 300 calories, 35 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 9 g fat, 28 g protein, 38% of your DV for iron! Very low sugar–only from the banana.
Perfect nutrition for the morning. I ate some more cantaloupe, and the rest of the banana to go with it all!