The foodies in the blogosphere have been making mac ‘n cheese style quinoa. I thought it was a great idea because you get a complete protein from the meal, and a much healthier grain packed with vitamins, minerals, and extra fiber. Yes, there is quite a bit of cheese. But, if there wasn’t, it wouldn’t be mac ‘n cheese style.
And finally, I have a made a quinoa dish that I love! I have had a love hate relationship with quinoa in the past. But, this time was super successful.
Mac ‘n Cheese Style Quinoa
Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed very well before cooking
- 3 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2-3 cups chopped broccoli (frozen or fresh)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4-5 gloves garlic minced
- paprika, for dusting on the top
- pinch of salt and pepper
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil and heat on medium in a large saute pan. Add the onion, and salt and pepper. Cook until it starts to turn golden. Add the chopped broccoli, and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Then, add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes until the garlic very lightly browns. Turn off the heat.
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, add the cooked quinoa, broccoli mixture, and half the cheese. Stir in the baking dish to combine.
- Then add the 1 egg that you have scrambled with the milk. This helps to hold the dish together.
- Top with remaining cheese. Bake for about 10-15 minutes. Then, broil on high for 3-5 minutes (watch the cheese so you don’t burn it).
We ate some salmon burgers on the side, and Mr. Cyclist decided he wanted some cocktail sauce with it. Well, he was shaking the bottle, and this happened:
Sauce everywhere. Flew all over the kitchen. Luckily, the quinoa dish was saved.