I decided that since I strive to eat a pretty clean and healthy diet, why shouldn’t my skincare be clean and healthy as well?
I strive to eliminate toxins from my life, mainly through diet. But, I can’t forget about the other toxins that I choose to use everyday.
The most important is body lotion because skin is an organ, and body lotion goes everywhere all over your body. Second, deodorant is important because we use it everyday, and sometimes multiple times per day.
My goal is not to go out and buy all natural clean products, but rather, I will just replace them as I run out. And I don’t plan to buy as many natural hair-care products because I just wash them out (maybe just shampoo).
This Jason’s deodorant is actually pretty good for a natural one! It is a little sticky, but smells great, and keeps me perspiration free. But, I do have to reapply it a few times to stay smelling pretty.
Why Use Clean Skincare Products:
- This is ultimately a test to see if my skin looks or feels any better after a few weeks of use.
- Parabens: Some experts speculate that it is linked to breast cancer (small amounts have been found in breast tissue).
- Phthalates: May cause reproductive harm and disrupt the metabolism and endocrine system. Most countries are trying to get rid of phthalates, but we are still continuously exposed to them as they are found in many plastic products.
- Mineral Oil: I actually learned from a coworker that mineral oil is such a big molecule that our skin can not absorb it correctly. And it has been linked to skin cancer because it promotes sun damage.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: May irritate the skin.
- Synthetic Colors: Possibly another caner-causing agent. Labeled as anything “FD&C” or “D&C”.
Below are examples of two common lotion products I threw away:
No need to freak out over chemicals in your beauty products. It takes a long time to create some kind of damage to the body. Just realize that the more natural your skincare, the more healthy you will keep your body. Just like foods!