I went to Einstein’s today in search of one of their salads, and because it is right around the corner from work. I know… going to Einstein’s and not getting a bagel seems a little ridiculous, but I just didn’t feel like 60g of refined carbs in my diet that day.
So, I get up to the order counter, and I find out that their salads come with a giant bagel. Oh, how nice. I decide to take the bagel and save it for a time when I am feeling the need for carbs. As a side note, the salad was actually wonderful because it was packed with mixed greens and grilled chicken (sans creamy dressing as well).
It seems like we used to have bagels that were 2 or 3 grain servings (not 4 or more like today). As we have come to realize, America’s portions have just continued to grow.
Healthier Choices at Bagel Restaurants:
- Pumpernickel, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Plain bagels have less calories.
- Choose a reduced fat cream cheese for about 60 calories and 5g fat per 2 Tbsp.
- Choose a side fruit salad, and have half a bagel with the fruit.
- Have a cup of broth-based soup when available.
- Stay away from sandwiches, paninis, and wraps made at Bagel restaurants because they tend to be loaded with meat, sauces, cheese, and bread (average about 700 calories).
- Stay away from “Gourmet” bagels which just means more calories.
- If you’re looking for a dessert item, choose a mini cookie, fruit, or split a dessert with a friend!